
Following the collapse of the ceasefire in Gaza, Israel has intensified its military operations in the territory, potentially setting the stage for significant changes in the region.
According to the Palestinian health ministry in Gaza, Israeli airstrikes have killed over 700 people in just over a week since the two-month ceasefire with Hamas ended. Meanwhile, statements from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government about seizing parts of Gaza have raised concerns among regional observers about further escalation in the 18-month conflict.
The renewed offensive began after Hamas rejected a proposal from White House envoy Steve Witkoff to extend the first phase of the truce deal instead of proceeding to phase two negotiations as previously agreed. In a Fox News interview Sunday, Witkoff attributed the ceasefire breakdown to Hamas’ refusal to accept the extension, while Hamas blamed Israel for declining to continue second-phase talks.
Weekend strikes reportedly pushed the Gaza death toll past 50,000 since the war began, according to local health officials. Israel’s campaign was launched following the Hamas-led October 7, 2023 attacks that killed approximately 1,200 people and took about 250 hostages.
Since military operations resumed, far-right politician Itamar Ben-Gvir has rejoined Netanyahu’s coalition cabinet. Ben-Gvir and his Otzma Yehudit party had previously left the coalition in protest of the ceasefire, which he termed “reckless.”
Experts suggest Israel may be preparing for a new war phase if Hamas continues rejecting the extension proposal. “It is pretty clear that the objective of the current military operation is to pressure Hamas to accept Witkoff’s proposal, not to come back to the negotiation table,” said Kobi Michael from the Institute for National Security Studies in Tel Aviv.
Michael believes Israeli forces will “increase military pressure” if Hamas maintains its position, potentially leading to Israeli occupation of Gaza under a “temporary military administration” aimed at dismantling Hamas.
For families of remaining hostages, the fighting resumption was devastating. “Returning to war could lead to hostages being accidentally harmed by our forces, or tortured and murdered by terrorists,” stated the Hostages and Missing Families Forum on Thursday.
Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz declared Friday he was ordering troops to permanently seize parts of Gaza to be “annexed to Israel” unless Hamas releases remaining hostages. “The more Hamas persists in its refusal to release the hostages, the more territory it will lose,” Katz said.
Some analysts suggest Israel’s actions could lead to “all out war” resulting in “full occupation” of Gaza unless Hamas changes course. Andreas Krieg from King’s College London noted that another potential goal might involve President Donald Trump’s recent proposal for U.S. administration of Gaza to develop it as “the Riviera of the Middle East,” an idea Netanyahu’s government has reportedly supported.
When asked about future Gaza plans, Netanyahu’s office did not immediately respond. The Israel Defense Forces stated they would “not comment on future operational plans,” noting they operate “in accordance with plans devised by the appropriate professional bodies, and by the directive of the political echelon.”
A spokesperson for Katz referenced his statement on X: “We will not stop until our hostages are released and Hamas is no longer in control of the Gaza Strip and is no longer a threat to Israel and Israelis.”
Be the first to leave a comment