Trump Administration Removes National Security Agency Director Amid Broader Staff Changes

Article arrow_drop_down

According to CBS News, the Trump administration has dismissed General Timothy Haugh from his positions as head of the National Security Agency and US Cyber Command.

General Haugh’s removal appears to be part of a larger reorganization involving several top security officials at both the agency and the White House. The exact reasoning behind the dismissal remains unclear.

Democratic leaders have expressed serious concerns about the decision. The development follows a Wednesday meeting between President Donald Trump and political activist Laura Loomer, who reportedly advocated for the removal of specific employees she believed lacked loyalty to the president’s agenda.

Loomer posted on X that General Haugh and his deputy, Wendy Noble, who US media reports were also dismissed, “have been disloyal to President Trump. That is why they have been fired.”

Before reports of these dismissals, President Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One that his administration would remove staff deemed disloyal: “We’re always going to let go of people—people we don’t like or people that take advantage of or people that may have loyalties to someone else.”

Trump’s comments coincided with reports that at least three other officials at the White House National Security Council (NSC) had been dismissed following the reported meeting with Loomer. The president did not confirm specific names.

When contacted, the National Security Agency directed inquiries about the dismissals to the Office of the Secretary of Defense Public Affairs. The White House previously stated that the NSC “won’t comment on personnel” matters.

Representative Jim Himes of Connecticut, ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee, and Senator Mark Warner of Virginia, vice chair of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence—both Democrats—confirmed General Haugh’s dismissal to CBS.

Himes issued a statement expressing that he was “deeply disturbed” by the decision. “I have known General Haugh to be an honest and forthright leader who followed the law and put national security first — I fear those are precisely the qualities that could lead to his firing in this Administration,” he said.

According to CBS reporting, Thursday’s NSC dismissals included Brian Walsh, a director for intelligence; Thomas Boodry, a senior director for legislative affairs; and David Feith, a senior director overseeing technology and national security.

It remains unclear whether General Haugh and Deputy Noble’s removals were directly connected to the NSC staff changes.

These personnel changes follow a significant controversy last month when NSC senior officials accidentally added a journalist to a Signal messaging thread discussing military operations in Yemen. General Haugh, who was not part of the Signal conversation, testified before Congress last week regarding the security breach.

The precise role of this incident in the recent dismissals is uncertain. President Trump has thus far supported top officials involved in the incident, including National Security Adviser Mike Waltz, who took responsibility for the accidental addition of an Atlantic magazine reporter to the Signal chat.

According to CBS, a source familiar with the situation indicated the Signal incident “opened the door” to scrutinizing staff members perceived as insufficiently aligned with Trump, while Loomer’s visit “sealed the fate” for those who were terminated.

The administration has reportedly been examining outside meetings conducted by national security staff, with some being reprimanded for meeting individuals not considered aligned with the president.

Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One en route to Miami on Thursday, Trump praised Loomer, calling her a “great patriot” and a “very strong person.” He confirmed their meeting, adding, “She makes recommendations… sometimes I listen to those recommendations. I listen to everybody, and then I make a decision.”

When contacted by the BBC, Loomer declined to share details of her Wednesday meeting with Trump, calling it “confidential” and expressing disappointment about leaks from the White House. She provided a statement saying, “It was an honor to meet with President Trump and present him with my research findings. I will continue working hard to support his agenda, and I will continue reiterating the importance of STRONG VETTING for the sake of protecting the President of the United States of America and our national security.”

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, who posted information in the Signal chat, is now subject to an internal review by the Pentagon’s office of the acting inspector general regarding his use of the messaging platform and compliance with department policies.

Inspector general offices routinely conduct independent investigations and audits of federal agencies, including potential security breaches.

Upon returning to office in January, the Trump administration removed many government inspectors general and appointed acting heads of watchdog agencies at the defense, commerce, labor, and health departments.

About the author

trending_flat
South Korea’s President Removed from Office: Constitutional Crisis Unfolds

South Korea's president, Yoon Suk Yeol, has been formally removed from power after the Constitutional Court unanimously upheld his impeachment, concluding a months-long political crisis that began with his brief attempt to impose martial law. The court's ruling on Friday triggered emotional responses across Seoul, where both critics and supporters had gathered to witness the verdict live. According to South Korean law, a snap election to select Yoon's replacement must now be held by June 3. After months of uncertainty, this verdict provides closure for many South Koreans, allowing the nation to begin healing and moving forward. However, the political aftermath of Yoon's actions continues to reverberate throughout the country. The events of December 3, when Yoon ordered troops to storm parliament, struck a deep chord in South Korea's collective memory. It revived fears from the country's authoritarian past and […]

trending_flat
Nigerian Electoral Commission Concludes Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan Recall Process, Legal Path Forward Unclear

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has officially concluded the recall process against Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, with the agency's Director of Voter Education and Publicity confirming that legal provisions for restarting such efforts remain undefined. In an interview with ARISE NEWS on Friday, INEC's Victoria Eta-Messi explained that while the commission followed constitutional guidelines throughout the process, current electoral law does not specify whether a failed recall can be reinitiated or what timeframe would be required before submitting a new petition. "The law is silent on the recall process being started afresh. And we're not sure, even if that were to happen, we're not sure of the window that is required before a resubmission can be done," Eta-Messi stated. She confirmed that the verification exercise failed to meet the required threshold of 50% plus one of registered voters, with only […]

trending_flat
Trump Administration Removes National Security Agency Director Amid Broader Staff Changes

According to CBS News, the Trump administration has dismissed General Timothy Haugh from his positions as head of the National Security Agency and US Cyber Command. General Haugh's removal appears to be part of a larger reorganization involving several top security officials at both the agency and the White House. The exact reasoning behind the dismissal remains unclear. Democratic leaders have expressed serious concerns about the decision. The development follows a Wednesday meeting between President Donald Trump and political activist Laura Loomer, who reportedly advocated for the removal of specific employees she believed lacked loyalty to the president's agenda. Loomer posted on X that General Haugh and his deputy, Wendy Noble, who US media reports were also dismissed, "have been disloyal to President Trump. That is why they have been fired." Before reports of these dismissals, President Trump told reporters […]

trending_flat
New York Mayor Eric Adams to Run as Independent After Corruption Case Dismissed

New York City Mayor Eric Adams announced Thursday he will run for reelection as an independent, bypassing the Democratic primary just one day after a federal judge permanently dismissed corruption charges against him. "I have always put New York's people before politics and party — and I always will. I am running for mayor in the general election because our city needs independent leadership that understands working people," Adams stated in a Thursday morning post on X. The announcement follows Wednesday's dismissal of bribery and wire fraud charges against Adams. He had been indicted in September after prosecutors alleged he received over $100,000 worth of plane tickets and luxury hotel stays from Turkish nationals during his nearly decade-long service in local government. U.S. District Judge Dale Ho wrote in a 78-page order: "To the extent that the government may be […]

trending_flat
Devastating January Wildfires Claim 30th Victim as LA Communities Struggle to Rebuild

Death toll in Los Angeles wildfires reaches 30 with newly confirmed fatality in Altadena A new death connected to January's wildfires has been confirmed, bringing the total death toll to 30, according to the County of Los Angeles Department of Medical Examiner's office on Wednesday. The latest fatality was linked to the Eaton Fire after remains were discovered on the 900 block of Boston Street in Altadena. The medical examiner's office referred to the victim as "unidentified doe No. 203." With this additional death, the Eaton Fire has now claimed 18 lives, while the Palisades Fire resulted in 12 fatalities. The wildfires devastated the region, forcing thousands of residents from their homes in Altadena and Pacific Palisades. Together, the fires consumed more than 37,000 acres. Both communities continue their rebuilding efforts following the destruction. Investigators are still working to determine […]

trending_flat
Global Markets Tumble as Trump Unveils Sweeping New Tariffs

World stocks, the dollar, and oil prices plummeted Thursday as Donald Trump's dramatic new U.S. trade tariffs sparked widespread fears of a global recession, sending investors rushing toward safe-haven bonds and the Japanese yen. The announcement of a baseline 10% tariff on imported goods plus additional "reciprocal" tariffs on numerous countries that Trump claimed maintained unfair trade barriers left traders visibly shaken by their severity. In Europe, where the 27-country EU bloc now faces a 20% reciprocal levy, markets fell between 1.3% and 2% as Brussels and other capitals expressed outrage. Wall Street futures dropped 3% ahead of what was anticipated to be a volatile U.S. market opening later. The dollar's 2% decline was on track to be its worst daily performance since November 2022. Asian markets, targeted by some of the harshest tariffs, saw Tokyo drop 2.7%, heading toward […]

Related

Kevin De Bruyne To Leave Man City At End of Current Season
trending_flat
Kevin De Bruyne To Leave Man City At End of Current Season

Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne has confirmed he will depart the club when the current season ends. The 33-year-old Belgian star, who joined City from Wolfsburg in 2015, has amassed an impressive collection of 14 major trophies during his time at the club, including six Premier League titles and the Champions League in 2023. "Nothing about this is easy to write, but as football players, we all know this day eventually comes. That day is here – and you deserve to hear it from me first," De Bruyne announced in a social media statement on Friday. "Football led me to all of you – and to this city. Chasing my dream, not knowing this period would change my life. This City. This club. These people … gave me EVERYTHING. I had no choice but to give EVERYTHING back! And […]

Mbappé and Rudiger Hit With Fines After "Indecent" Victory Celebration
trending_flat
Mbappé and Rudiger Hit With Fines After “Indecent” Victory Celebration

Real Madrid players Kylian Mbappe and Antonio Rudiger have received fines from UEFA but avoided suspensions for the Champions League quarterfinals following "indecent" celebrations after their previous match. UEFA announced Friday that both players were issued one-game bans for "violating the basic rules of decent conduct," with each subject to a one-year probationary period. The disciplinary action means Madrid's stars remain eligible for Tuesday's upcoming quarterfinal match at Arsenal. The charges stemmed from Madrid players' celebrations following their penalty shootout victory over city rivals Atletico Madrid in the round of 16 on March 12. Social media video clips showed Mbappe grabbing his crotch on the field during the celebrations. In its ruling, UEFA fined Rudiger 40,000 euros ($44,000) and Mbappe 30,000 euros ($33,000). A third Madrid player, Dani Ceballos, received a 20,000 euro ($22,000) fine without a suspended ban. UEFA […]

trending_flat
South Korea’s President Removed from Office: Constitutional Crisis Unfolds

South Korea's president, Yoon Suk Yeol, has been formally removed from power after the Constitutional Court unanimously upheld his impeachment, concluding a months-long political crisis that began with his brief attempt to impose martial law. The court's ruling on Friday triggered emotional responses across Seoul, where both critics and supporters had gathered to witness the verdict live. According to South Korean law, a snap election to select Yoon's replacement must now be held by June 3. After months of uncertainty, this verdict provides closure for many South Koreans, allowing the nation to begin healing and moving forward. However, the political aftermath of Yoon's actions continues to reverberate throughout the country. The events of December 3, when Yoon ordered troops to storm parliament, struck a deep chord in South Korea's collective memory. It revived fears from the country's authoritarian past and […]

trending_flat
Nigerian Electoral Commission Concludes Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan Recall Process, Legal Path Forward Unclear

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has officially concluded the recall process against Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, with the agency's Director of Voter Education and Publicity confirming that legal provisions for restarting such efforts remain undefined. In an interview with ARISE NEWS on Friday, INEC's Victoria Eta-Messi explained that while the commission followed constitutional guidelines throughout the process, current electoral law does not specify whether a failed recall can be reinitiated or what timeframe would be required before submitting a new petition. "The law is silent on the recall process being started afresh. And we're not sure, even if that were to happen, we're not sure of the window that is required before a resubmission can be done," Eta-Messi stated. She confirmed that the verification exercise failed to meet the required threshold of 50% plus one of registered voters, with only […]

trending_flat
New York Mayor Eric Adams to Run as Independent After Corruption Case Dismissed

New York City Mayor Eric Adams announced Thursday he will run for reelection as an independent, bypassing the Democratic primary just one day after a federal judge permanently dismissed corruption charges against him. "I have always put New York's people before politics and party — and I always will. I am running for mayor in the general election because our city needs independent leadership that understands working people," Adams stated in a Thursday morning post on X. The announcement follows Wednesday's dismissal of bribery and wire fraud charges against Adams. He had been indicted in September after prosecutors alleged he received over $100,000 worth of plane tickets and luxury hotel stays from Turkish nationals during his nearly decade-long service in local government. U.S. District Judge Dale Ho wrote in a 78-page order: "To the extent that the government may be […]

trending_flat
Devastating January Wildfires Claim 30th Victim as LA Communities Struggle to Rebuild

Death toll in Los Angeles wildfires reaches 30 with newly confirmed fatality in Altadena A new death connected to January's wildfires has been confirmed, bringing the total death toll to 30, according to the County of Los Angeles Department of Medical Examiner's office on Wednesday. The latest fatality was linked to the Eaton Fire after remains were discovered on the 900 block of Boston Street in Altadena. The medical examiner's office referred to the victim as "unidentified doe No. 203." With this additional death, the Eaton Fire has now claimed 18 lives, while the Palisades Fire resulted in 12 fatalities. The wildfires devastated the region, forcing thousands of residents from their homes in Altadena and Pacific Palisades. Together, the fires consumed more than 37,000 acres. Both communities continue their rebuilding efforts following the destruction. Investigators are still working to determine […]

Be the first to leave a comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Login to enjoy full advantages

Please login or subscribe to continue.

Go Premium!

Enjoy the full advantage of the premium access.

Stop following

Unfollow Cancel

Cancel subscription

Are you sure you want to cancel your subscription? You will lose your Premium access and stored playlists.

Go back Confirm cancellation