Trump Announces Sweeping New Tariffs in Major Trade Policy Shift

Article arrow_drop_down

U.S. President Donald Trump was set to implement broad new reciprocal tariffs on global trading partners on Wednesday, marking a significant departure from decades of rules-based trade policies. This move risks increasing costs for consumers and will likely trigger retaliatory measures from affected countries.

Final details of the tariff plans, which Trump has characterized as America’s “Liberation Day,” were still being finalized ahead of a White House Rose Garden announcement scheduled for 4 p.m. Eastern Time (2000 GMT).

The new duties will take effect immediately following Trump’s announcement, while a separate 25% global tariff on auto imports is scheduled to begin on April 3.

Trump has framed his reciprocal tariff strategy as an effort to equalize generally lower U.S. tariff rates with those charged by other countries and to counter non-tariff barriers that disadvantage American exports. However, the specific structure of these duties remained unclear, with reports suggesting Trump was considering a 20% universal tariff.

European Central Bank President Christine Lagarde warned that Trump’s planned levies would have negative consequences globally. “It will be negative the world over, and the density and durability of the impact will vary depending on the scope, on the products targeted, on how long it lasts, and on whether or not there are negotiations,” she stated in an interview on Ireland’s Newstalk radio.

As the world awaited details of the tariff plans, financial markets reflected growing uncertainty, with stocks retreating and safe-haven gold remaining near record highs. “I can’t recall a situation where the stakes were this high and yet the outcome was so unpredictable,” noted Steve Sosnick, chief strategist at Interactive Brokers. “The devil is going to be in the details, and nobody knows the details.”

Business leaders across various sectors, including the automotive, shipping, and luxury goods industries, anxiously awaited specifics, particularly given Trump’s use of emergency powers to quickly add, occasionally withdraw, and sometimes reinstate tariffs. “You cannot make important decisions on your supply chain when the rules of the game keep changing,” said Peter Sand, chief analyst at freight pricing platform Xeneta.

A former Trump administration trade official suggested that Trump would likely impose comprehensive tariff rates on individual countries at somewhat lower levels. The official added that the number of affected countries would probably exceed the approximately 15 nations that Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent had previously identified as having high trade surpluses with the U.S.

“Either way, the impacts of today’s announcement will be significant across a wide range of industries,” said Ryan Majerus, a partner at the King and Spalding law firm.

In just over ten weeks since taking office, Trump has already imposed new 20% duties on all imports from China over fentanyl concerns and fully restored 25% duties on steel and aluminum, extending these to nearly $150 billion worth of downstream products. A month-long reprieve for most Canadian and Mexican goods from his 25% fentanyl-related tariffs is set to expire on Wednesday.

Administration officials have indicated that all of Trump’s tariffs, including previous rates, are cumulative. For example, a Mexican-built car previously subject to a 2.5% import tariff would now face both the fentanyl tariffs and the auto sector tariffs, resulting in a 52.5% rate—plus any additional reciprocal tariff Trump might impose on Mexican goods.

The growing uncertainty surrounding these duties is eroding investor, consumer, and business confidence. Concerned investors have been selling stocks for over a month, wiping nearly $5 trillion off the value of U.S. equities since mid-February. On Wednesday, the dollar strengthened slightly while other currencies remained in tight ranges as traders awaited details of Trump’s plans.

Trading partners from the European Union to Canada and Mexico have promised to respond with retaliatory tariffs and other countermeasures, even as some have sought to negotiate with the White House. In Australia, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and his election rival, Liberal Party leader Peter Dutton, both pledged to fight back against potential U.S. tariffs that could affect Australian beef. “If I needed to have a fight with Donald Trump or any other world leader to advance our nation’s interests, I’d do it in a heartbeat,” Dutton stated in a Sky News Australia interview.

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum discussed Canada’s intention to “fight unjustified trade actions” by the U.S. during a conversation on Tuesday, according to Carney’s office.

Trump has argued that American workers and manufacturers have suffered for decades under free-trade agreements that have lowered barriers to global commerce and fueled the growth of a $3 trillion U.S. market for imported goods, resulting in a goods trade deficit exceeding $1.2 trillion.

However, according to the Yale University Budget Lab, economists warn that a 20% tariff on top of those already imposed would cost the average U.S. household at least $3,400.

About the author

trending_flat
New York Mayor Eric Adams to Run as Independent After Corruption Case Dismissed

New York City Mayor Eric Adams announced Thursday he will run for reelection as an independent, bypassing the Democratic primary just one day after a federal judge permanently dismissed corruption charges against him. "I have always put New York's people before politics and party — and I always will. I am running for mayor in the general election because our city needs independent leadership that understands working people," Adams stated in a Thursday morning post on X. The announcement follows Wednesday's dismissal of bribery and wire fraud charges against Adams. He had been indicted in September after prosecutors alleged he received over $100,000 worth of plane tickets and luxury hotel stays from Turkish nationals during his nearly decade-long service in local government. U.S. District Judge Dale Ho wrote in a 78-page order: "To the extent that the government may be […]

trending_flat
Devastating January Wildfires Claim 30th Victim as LA Communities Struggle to Rebuild

Death toll in Los Angeles wildfires reaches 30 with newly confirmed fatality in Altadena A new death connected to January's wildfires has been confirmed, bringing the total death toll to 30, according to the County of Los Angeles Department of Medical Examiner's office on Wednesday. The latest fatality was linked to the Eaton Fire after remains were discovered on the 900 block of Boston Street in Altadena. The medical examiner's office referred to the victim as "unidentified doe No. 203." With this additional death, the Eaton Fire has now claimed 18 lives, while the Palisades Fire resulted in 12 fatalities. The wildfires devastated the region, forcing thousands of residents from their homes in Altadena and Pacific Palisades. Together, the fires consumed more than 37,000 acres. Both communities continue their rebuilding efforts following the destruction. Investigators are still working to determine […]

trending_flat
Global Markets Tumble as Trump Unveils Sweeping New Tariffs

World stocks, the dollar, and oil prices plummeted Thursday as Donald Trump's dramatic new U.S. trade tariffs sparked widespread fears of a global recession, sending investors rushing toward safe-haven bonds and the Japanese yen. The announcement of a baseline 10% tariff on imported goods plus additional "reciprocal" tariffs on numerous countries that Trump claimed maintained unfair trade barriers left traders visibly shaken by their severity. In Europe, where the 27-country EU bloc now faces a 20% reciprocal levy, markets fell between 1.3% and 2% as Brussels and other capitals expressed outrage. Wall Street futures dropped 3% ahead of what was anticipated to be a volatile U.S. market opening later. The dollar's 2% decline was on track to be its worst daily performance since November 2022. Asian markets, targeted by some of the harshest tariffs, saw Tokyo drop 2.7%, heading toward […]

trending_flat
Trump Announces Sweeping New Tariffs in Major Trade Policy Shift

U.S. President Donald Trump was set to implement broad new reciprocal tariffs on global trading partners on Wednesday, marking a significant departure from decades of rules-based trade policies. This move risks increasing costs for consumers and will likely trigger retaliatory measures from affected countries. Final details of the tariff plans, which Trump has characterized as America's "Liberation Day," were still being finalized ahead of a White House Rose Garden announcement scheduled for 4 p.m. Eastern Time (2000 GMT). The new duties will take effect immediately following Trump's announcement, while a separate 25% global tariff on auto imports is scheduled to begin on April 3. Trump has framed his reciprocal tariff strategy as an effort to equalize generally lower U.S. tariff rates with those charged by other countries and to counter non-tariff barriers that disadvantage American exports. However, the specific structure […]

trending_flat
NNPC Welcomes New Leadership as Ojulari Takes Helm and Board Changes

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited has officially welcomed Mr. Bayo Ojulari's appointment as the new Group Chief Executive Officer, along with a reconstituted board of directors appointed by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu. In a statement released on Wednesday by Olufemi O. Soneye, Chief Corporate Communications Officer, NNPC expressed appreciation to the outgoing GCEO, Mele Kyari, and former board members for their service to both the company and the nation. "Mr. Kyari's leadership and tireless efforts have left an indelible mark on NNPC Ltd., and we are sincerely grateful for his outstanding contributions," the statement noted. The energy company also conveyed best wishes to Kyari and the departing board members, recognizing their dedication and expressing hope for their continued success in their future endeavors.

trending_flat
North Korea Criticizes U.S.-Japan Missile Production Agreement

North Korea has condemned a recent agreement between Japan and the United States to co-produce air-to-air missiles, describing it as exacerbating regional security risks and representing another instance of Washington's efforts to militarize Japan, according to state media reports on Wednesday. The criticism comes as the United States upgrades its military command in Japan. North Korean officials argue that the two countries' cooperation in munitions production clearly demonstrates military and aggressive intentions directed at countries in the region, state news agency KCNA reported. The statements were attributed to an unnamed vice general director of North Korea's defense ministry, who did not specifically identify target countries. However, the official referenced the AIM-120 air-to-air missile system that the United States and Japan agreed to accelerate co-producing during U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth's visit to Tokyo on Sunday. According to the North Korean […]

Related

trending_flat
New York Mayor Eric Adams to Run as Independent After Corruption Case Dismissed

New York City Mayor Eric Adams announced Thursday he will run for reelection as an independent, bypassing the Democratic primary just one day after a federal judge permanently dismissed corruption charges against him. "I have always put New York's people before politics and party — and I always will. I am running for mayor in the general election because our city needs independent leadership that understands working people," Adams stated in a Thursday morning post on X. The announcement follows Wednesday's dismissal of bribery and wire fraud charges against Adams. He had been indicted in September after prosecutors alleged he received over $100,000 worth of plane tickets and luxury hotel stays from Turkish nationals during his nearly decade-long service in local government. U.S. District Judge Dale Ho wrote in a 78-page order: "To the extent that the government may be […]

trending_flat
Devastating January Wildfires Claim 30th Victim as LA Communities Struggle to Rebuild

Death toll in Los Angeles wildfires reaches 30 with newly confirmed fatality in Altadena A new death connected to January's wildfires has been confirmed, bringing the total death toll to 30, according to the County of Los Angeles Department of Medical Examiner's office on Wednesday. The latest fatality was linked to the Eaton Fire after remains were discovered on the 900 block of Boston Street in Altadena. The medical examiner's office referred to the victim as "unidentified doe No. 203." With this additional death, the Eaton Fire has now claimed 18 lives, while the Palisades Fire resulted in 12 fatalities. The wildfires devastated the region, forcing thousands of residents from their homes in Altadena and Pacific Palisades. Together, the fires consumed more than 37,000 acres. Both communities continue their rebuilding efforts following the destruction. Investigators are still working to determine […]

trending_flat
Global Markets Tumble as Trump Unveils Sweeping New Tariffs

World stocks, the dollar, and oil prices plummeted Thursday as Donald Trump's dramatic new U.S. trade tariffs sparked widespread fears of a global recession, sending investors rushing toward safe-haven bonds and the Japanese yen. The announcement of a baseline 10% tariff on imported goods plus additional "reciprocal" tariffs on numerous countries that Trump claimed maintained unfair trade barriers left traders visibly shaken by their severity. In Europe, where the 27-country EU bloc now faces a 20% reciprocal levy, markets fell between 1.3% and 2% as Brussels and other capitals expressed outrage. Wall Street futures dropped 3% ahead of what was anticipated to be a volatile U.S. market opening later. The dollar's 2% decline was on track to be its worst daily performance since November 2022. Asian markets, targeted by some of the harshest tariffs, saw Tokyo drop 2.7%, heading toward […]

Hungary Quits Global Court Hours Before Netanyahu Visit Defying Arrest Warrant
trending_flat
Hungary Quits Global Court Hours Before Netanyahu Visit Defying Arrest Warrant

Hungary's government has announced its withdrawal from the International Criminal Court (ICC) just before Prime Minister Viktor Orban welcomed his Israeli counterpart, Benjamin Netanyahu, who faces an ICC arrest warrant. "Hungary exits the International Criminal Court. The government will initiate the withdrawal procedure on Thursday, in accordance with the constitutional and international legal framework," Orban's chief of staff, Gergely Gulyas, posted on Facebook on Thursday. Orban had previously suggested Hungary might leave the ICC after United States President Donald Trump imposed sanctions on the court's prosecutor, Karim Khan, in February. "It's time for Hungary to review what we're doing in an international organisation that is under US sanctions," Orban stated on X at that time. The withdrawal legislation is expected to pass easily through Hungary's parliament, which is controlled by Orban's Fidesz party. The ICC has not yet responded to […]

Trump Tariff Bombshell Triggers Global Market Panic As Gold Hits Record High
trending_flat
Trump Tariff Bombshell Triggers Global Market Panic As Gold Hits Record High

Global stock markets tumbled Thursday as investors reacted to President Donald Trump's sweeping tariff announcements, with the UK's FTSE 100 dropping 1.5% alongside other declining European markets, following earlier falls across Asia. While stocks retreated, gold prices reached a record high of $3,167.57 per ounce as investors sought safety amid growing economic uncertainty. Traders expressed concern that Trump's tariffs could fuel inflation and hamper global growth. Asian markets fell sharply following Trump's announcement, with Japan's Nikkei closing down nearly 3% and Hong Kong's Hang Seng dropping 1.5%. European indexes followed suit, with Germany's Dax falling 2.2% and France's Cac 40 declining 2.5%. US markets were also projected to open significantly lower, with futures indicating a 3% drop for the S&P 500 and 2.4% for the Dow Jones. The US government's decision to impose a 10% baseline tariff plus higher duties […]

trending_flat
NNPC Welcomes New Leadership as Ojulari Takes Helm and Board Changes

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Limited has officially welcomed Mr. Bayo Ojulari's appointment as the new Group Chief Executive Officer, along with a reconstituted board of directors appointed by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu. In a statement released on Wednesday by Olufemi O. Soneye, Chief Corporate Communications Officer, NNPC expressed appreciation to the outgoing GCEO, Mele Kyari, and former board members for their service to both the company and the nation. "Mr. Kyari's leadership and tireless efforts have left an indelible mark on NNPC Ltd., and we are sincerely grateful for his outstanding contributions," the statement noted. The energy company also conveyed best wishes to Kyari and the departing board members, recognizing their dedication and expressing hope for their continued success in their future endeavors.

Be the first to leave a comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Login to enjoy full advantages

Please login or subscribe to continue.

Go Premium!

Enjoy the full advantage of the premium access.

Stop following

Unfollow Cancel

Cancel subscription

Are you sure you want to cancel your subscription? You will lose your Premium access and stored playlists.

Go back Confirm cancellation